Monday, May 4, 2009

Keeping fit as an intern

It's impossible. Especially now that I'm pregnant. But even when I was really busy before, I still was able to get some exercise in, sometimes at the gym, and sometimes playing ultimate frisbee, which has basically been my most enjoyable form of exercise for the last 6-7 years. It's well-known that interns often gain 10-15 pounds during their intern year, and in general eat a lot unhealthier and get a lot less exercise. They say (jokingly) that the doctors are often the least healthy people in the hospital... obviously it's important to stay healthy, for their own sakes as well as to set a good example for their patients, but it can be extremely difficult.

I think the best way to combat it is to try and get into something active you really enjoy - for me, that's ultimate frisbee. To be honest, this post is really just a plug for my sport. :) I guess since I'm a woman, and play ultimate frisbee (not to mention captained a women's club team and multiple league teams in the past), many people have forwarded this New York Times article to me. It's mostly about women and ultimate frisbee, and I think it's great that the sport is finally getting mainstream attention.

No comments: