Monday, May 11, 2009

Sympathy vs. Empathy

I remember in medical school being taught the difference between sympathy and empathy - a lot of people tend to use them as synonyms. In my line of work, when you empathize with someone, it means that you can feel what they are feeling. For example, if they have some type of cancer, and you've had that exact type of cancer, you can feel something similar to what they must be going through and you "empathize." If you feel sympathy for someone, then it's more that you understand, or try to understand as best you can, what the person is going through but you may not feel or have not felt that way yourself. In my opinion, it's very difficult to empathize with someone unless you've gone through a very similar process or situation that they're going through.

Having said all this, I highly empathize right now with all the 9 month pregnant ladies out there who like to deliver soon. :)

2 comments:

Reunificacion de Creditos said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future. I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a nice day!

Iniciar sesiĆ³n Hotmail said...

fantastic post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!