Saturday, September 8, 2007

Food and Jazz

It was a day to eat! We went to this place called Sanitas for brunch, which does pretty well in providing good American-style brunches. It’s actually a tea garden and horticultural center, where you can buy lots of different plants and gardening supplies. In the winter, Botswana is very dry and brown, so the lushness and greenness of this place is a welcome change, although it probably requires ridiculous amounts of water to keep it that way. At any rate, after eating, it was fun to stroll around and look at all the different things in this large outdoor store. And we also got gelato from their counter, even though we stuffed ourselves during brunch. :)

During the day I tossed a Frisbee around with Amy and Phil. Amy actually was quite good – she said she used to throw a Frisbee in summer camp. It was pretty fun until one of us threw it into the bushes near our apartments. All the bushes have these super sharp thorns, and two of them actually pierced the Frisbee! We used pliers and still couldn’t get them out! Eventually we were able to cut off the ends and file them down so there was no longer any protrusion from the Frisbee, but the little bits of wood were still embedded in the Frisbee. Crazy.

Then for dinner, a few of us went out for Ethiopian food. It was this place located at the Riverwalk mall that Dr. Gluckman recommended to us. They had a buffet which consisted of chicken with egg, beef, lentils, some other vegetable, and of course, plenty of that spongy bread, injera. Unfortunately I wasn’t very impressed – I think I like the Ethiopian food in West Philly better! It wasn’t as spicy as I’m used to it being, and the bread wasn’t sour like it normally is! I think the Ethiopian food in West Philly is actually more authentic, since there are a ton of Ethiopians in that area. I’m willing to bet that the Ethiopian food here has been tamed down a bit for the Motswana.

After dinner, a few of us (Lisa, Amy, Joanne and I) went and joined Kristy, Kiona and Phil at Botswana Craft for a jazz concert. The band playing was called Punah, and I guess they are known to quite a lot of people, but are not really super famous. It was a ton of fun – after a while, we joined in the dancing with the locals who whole-heartedly welcomed us. There was dancing in groups (like in the states), dancing in a circle (I think there were specific steps to this, but we certainly didn’t know them), and dancing in sync with specific movements, like the Macarena (which I could sorta do after watching and miming the other dancers for a while). Most of the dancers ranged from 20-40 years old, with the young men being pretty entertaining to watch. However, there were these two old men (probably in their 60s) dancing and they were hilarious! Their moves were very… original. One of them had very jerky and deliberate movements, like those men in the parks painted in silver who pretend to be statues and move robotically when you put money in their can. Joanne took some video, and I’ve got to get a copy of it. :)

The band Punah was also very good – I definitely enjoyed their music. Kristy bought their new CD and unfortunately it came damaged, but I burned what I could onto my computer. Funnily enough, several days later I was walking through the Main Mall, where there are tons of street vendors out at lunchtime, including ones that cell CDs and DVDs. I heard music being pumped out from one tent, and I said, “that’s Punah!” and the vendor was surprised and said, “Yeah, that’s Punah!” And he asked if I wanted to buy it but I said I already had it. Even though it wasn’t a huge crowd that night at the jazz concert, I guess their music is relatively well-known.

No comments: