Saturday, July 12, 2008

A lesson well-learned

The call system for Pennsylvania Hospital is a little different from other hospitals. I won't go into it now, but suffice it to say there are three types of calls - short call, medium call, and long call. Over the last 3 weeks, on medium call, I've generally been able to get out at 6 or 6:30. So I thought yesterday would be no different. In fact, we had already bought tickets to go to a large music festival with the rest of our friends. The plan was for me to get out, Pete would pick me up, and we would go directly there to join everyone around 6:30 or 7. It was a pretty crazy day and I picked up the max number of patients I could possibly pick up (which has been the case for the last 6 calls I've been on), and there were some complications with other patients. I didn't get out of the hospital until close to 8:30pm, at which point, not only was I exhausted, but I hadn't eaten, and we would only get to enjoy about an hour of the music festival by the time we got there. So I just went home.

The moral of the story? Don't buy tickets, especially expensive ones, ahead of time unless you are sure that you will get out in time.

No comments: