Friday, February 1, 2008

Escalation

So it's interesting... when I first moved to Philly, I must have had nothing to do. I mean, sure I was probably kept busy for a bit, getting situated, moving things into my new apartment, and starting med school. Actually, I remember it took me quite a while to get more furniture... For a while, all I had was a mattress, a TV, and a chair that sat in front of the TV. I eventually found what I was looking for either on the street, or at Ikea but it definitely took me 3 or 4 months. I even had people over dinner - I made them sit on boxes and on the floor!

ANYWAYS, the point of this blog is that everything in my life seems to have escalated. I had barely any social life back then. I moved, and I knew nobody in Philly. I probably went out once a week, and med school-related events, and went to watch football games with pseudo-friends, some of whom I would become really good friends with, and some whom I have no desire ever to be friendly with again. Maybe I was studying (although most who know me would probably laugh), but I think I found other ways to occupy my time, and for the life of me, I can't think of what that was back then. Now my social life is so busy, it's a little crazy. Not only do I have friends from med school and ultimate frisbee now, which keeps me busy enough, but I have a significant other to interact and live with, and since his whole family lives on the east coast, and his whole friend base is also here, we have some sort of family function about every 2 weeks, which can often take up an entire weekend! And we're also big hosters and cookers - we love hosting people for parties, dinners, you name it. So we're definitely busy.

Other things have escalated too... I came with what fit into a very small two-door car. Basically my clothes, a TV, some pots and pans. Now we have a two-bedroom apartment, plenty of storage, and we are crammed with stuff. Granted we moved in together so there's two people's stuff crammed into one apartment, but I think more than half of it is mine! And we have tons of stuff in storage space too that we don't even use but don't want to throw away. It's ridiculous.

Maybe moving to a new city will be good - it'll be scary but it's a new beginning, and that's pretty exciting. :)

No comments: